Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chiropractor for Kids

As I’ve mentioned before, I've been taking you to see my Chiropractor, Dr. P (AKA Dr. Fantasia) for a couple of weeks now. (Three times, once ever two weeks, to be exact.) I decided to take you because you're just a little bit more cranky than your brother was, and I'd like you to be a little less cranky.

Crankiness had just started when I took you to your 2 month peds visit. I described your "like a stuck pig" scream, stiff bodied-ness, inconsolableness - even not wanting to nurse - and the nurse practitioner (whom I do like a lot) asked a bunch of questions to see if maybe you were having some reflux or something. But we decided that that didn't really seem to be it, but we'd keep an eye on it. A good solution vs. trying some medication that you didn't really need, and soon after I decided to take you to Dr. P. She tells me that she sees babies for various things including reflux, constipation (you're not, but you aren't a daily pooper either), irritability, etc.

On our first visit she adjusted your sacrum (you could see the crookedness at the top of your little bum crack!) and your neck (to address the fact that you were latching/nursing just fine on the right side, but having a harder time on the left). Neither of these adjustments made you very happy and there was much crying. She suggested that your irritability (AKA colic although I don’t think you were cranky enough to truly be considered colicky) could be due to gas and related to my diet (did I eat a lot of dairy? I said no, then tried to cut it out which showed me that I really do love my dairy! Sorry, baby!). Or it could be neurological (there was a third cause too, but darned if I can remember… maybe the reflux?). She proceeded to do some manipulation of your cranium, which was pretty amazing to watch. You were still pretty upset when she started, but at one point you became completely calm, not crying, just staring up at Dr. P. Of course, then she moved on to the next area and you were upset again, but it was really cool!

And as I wrote in my previous post, I think it has helped. The nursing/latching on the left side has definitely improved, and I think that you have been less irritable, too. Until our last visit you were still not pooping every day, which Dr. P seems to think would be preferable, although many baby resources I’ve read say that so long as you aren’t constipated when you DO poop a couple of days between poops is not abnormal for a breast fed baby. I will say that I do prefer the daily poop, because when you save it up no diaper will contain it! Why just this past Wednesday you managed to cover yourself (and then me in the clean-up phase). But since then we’ve had one or more poops per day! Wahoo!

OK, enough about poop and Chiropractic for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment